Craving something sweet and indulgent but don’t want to break your keto streak? These keto choc-chip macadamia brownies will do the trick!
Fluffy and chocolaty with little pops of macadamia, they are the go-to treat for those on a lazy keto diet! Not only that, but this recipe is also totally customizable so you can replace the macadamias with hazelnuts, frozen fruit, or extra choc-chips for a true chocolate craving buster!
How are brownies Keto?
Keto by definition is a diet that puts your body into ketosis. This means lowering your intake of carbohydrates to the point that your body has no choice but to use fat for fuel. As long as you stay in ketosis your body should burn fat.
These brownies only have 2.5g net carbs I them, 2g if you make them without nuts. This means that they can easily fit into your daily macros without you having to miss out on the sweet stuff.
They are made using a ‘fat-head dough’ which is made up of mozzarella cheese and some other ingredients meaning that they mainly add to your fat intake (which means they fill you up as well as being super yummy!)
How are these keto brownies sweetened?
In this recipe, I use natural sweetener stevia but you can substitute with any keto-friendly sweetener of your choice, just remember to adjust your recipe depending on the type of sweetener you use as not all sweeteners are a 1:1 conversion for normal white sugar. Some are sweeter (or less sweet) than others.
What if I don’t like macadamia nuts?
The beauty of this recipe is that you can follow the basic level of the recipe and substitute the add-ins. I LOVE macadamias and so this is the perfect treat for me. However, if you are more of a hazelnut nut then you can switch your ingredients in a 1:1 ratio. That is, where I state 1/3 cup macadamias, you just add 1/3 cup hazelnuts instead! How easy!!
You may even wish to experiment and go half hazelnut – half macadamia. Or if you aren’t nuts for nuts then just omit them altogether and replace with extra choc-chips, delish!
My next attempt is going to be omitting the nuts and adding 1/2 cup chopped Dark Mint Chocolate. I will report back!
Update: I substituted the macadamias with 4 rows of Well Naturally No Sugar Added Mint Crisp Dark Chocolate and it was amazing! I chopped it more course and mixed most of the chocolate through and sprinkled some on top. If you like dark chocolate mint this is a must-try!
Ingredients for Keto Choc-chip Macadamia Brownies
- 170g Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 120g Full fat cream cheese
- 1 700g egg
- 2/3 cup Almond meal
- 1/4 cup coco powder
- 1/2 cup powdered Stevia Sweetener*
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts – chopped
- 3 segments of Well Naturally No Sugar Added Rich Dark Chocolate (or any other sugar free chocolate) – chopped
*Recipe Notes: Stevia usually comes in a granular consistency so I use my mortar and pestle to grind it down to a fine powder, this stops any grittiness in the final product.
Directions for Keto Choc-Chip Macadamia Brownies
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C (320°F)
- I use my Pyrex Easy Grab 8 Inch Baking Dish but you can use a metal one if that’s all you have too.
- Using your spatula move the mixture to the edges and pat down. Trim the edges of the paper if you like.
- Allow to cool in pan before carefully lifting the paper out and moving the entire brownie to a cooling rack.
- Portion into 16 pieces.
Nutritional Information for Keto Choc-Chip Macadamia Brownies
- Serving size – 1 brownie
- Servings per recipe – 16
- Calories – 116
- Net Carbs – 2.5g
- Protein – 4.5g
- Fat – 10.5g
- Allow to completely cool before placing in an airtight container and storing it in the fridge.
- The brownies will be quite moist and chewy when they are fresh out of the oven but they will harden up in the fridge. To get them soft again you can pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- These will last in your fridge for up to a week – unless you eat them all first!
It’s recipes like these that completely de-bunk everything we ever knew about being on a “diet.”
Being able to still enjoy tasty treats (even pancakes) makes it so easy to stick to a ketogenic diet without the overwhelming FOMO (fear of missing out) that you experience on other diets.
I’d LOVE for you to give these scrumptious keto choc-chip macadamia brownies a go and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to pin for later.