Motherhood is one of the most empowering, difficult and most joyous events in a woman’s life.
Birthing and bringing into this world a new soul, nourishing and providing for this tiny person, putting them and their needs above all else, even your own wishes and desires. And yet, feeling absolutely devoted to the task.
Tired, depressed and underappreciated mothers walk the world over, telling of their sense of defeat and sacrifice.
And yet, many women yearn for the journey to begin for them. Embarking on countless attempts, only to be left empty and unfulfilled.
A shout out to those mothers-one-day who are on that journey of trying to become what they know they are capable of, love.
Here are 30 quotes about motherhood.
For the already-mothers who need a little motivation and inspiration to power through another day; and for the women who need reminding of why they are putting themselves through countless moments of despair and doubt.
Whoever you are, and whatever stage you are at in your motherhood journey.
You got this!
- “There’s no hood like motherhood” – unknown
- “Everything I am, you helped me become” – unknown
- “Birthing is the most profound initiation to spirituality a woman can have.” – Robin Lim
- “Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” – Meryl Streep
- “Mother, one title above queen” – unknown
- “Home is where mom is” – unknown
- “Pregnancy is the best reason for feeling like crap” – unknown
- “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” —Sophia Loren
- “There is such a special sweetness in being able to participate in creation.” – Pamela S. Nadav
- “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” – Oprah
- “Birth takes a woman’s deepest fears about herself and show her that she is stronger than them.” – Unknown
- “Motherhood is the ultimate call to sacrifice.” Wangechi Mutu
- “Work hard, mom harder.” – unknown
- “The very fact that you worry about being a good mom means that you are one.” – Jodi Picoult
- “A messy bun is the crown of a mom” – unknown
- “Motherhood is such an evolving journey.” – Solange Knowles
- “Labour is the only blind date where you know you get to meet the love of your life.” – unknown
- “To the world you are a mother, but to your children you are the world.” – unknown
- “Nothing is lost until mom can’t find it.” – unknown
- “The days are long but the years are short.” – Gretchin Rubin
- “Making the decision to have a baby is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside of your body.” -Elizabeth Stone
- “All mothers are working mothers.” – unknown
- “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” —Lin Yutang
- “Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” – Tina Fey
- “The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.” – Peggy O’Mara
- “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.” – Jessica Lange
- “Motherhood is a beautiful, wonderful gift… except when it’s not.” – Rachel Hollis
- “Motherhood is the most challenging as well as the utmost satisfying vocation in this world.” – Nita Ambani
- “If you are a mom, you are a superhero. Period.” – Rosie Hope
- “Motherhood is a love story with no ending.” – unknown
My favourites are 8, 11 and 25
You can find more quotes on my Pinterest Mama Meme and Quote Board!
Which quote stood out for you the most?