Coconut oil, there are so many advocates for the liquid gold. Type it into Google or Pinterest and you will be dished a plethora of recipes and DIY hacks on what to use the stuff for.
But, is it really that good?
I use coconut oil for almost everything and everyone in my household (yes including baby and even the cats!).
So, What Is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is an edible oil that has been extracted from the meat of the coconut. But not all coconut oil is the same! Different coconut oils are used for different applications. I will discuss the two versions that I myself use.
100% Pure Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
This oil has had heat applied in the pressing process to extract the oil. This can enhance the valuable properties of the oil while still maintaining its antibody materials.
It is available pretty much everywhere coconut oil is sold (great deal on 1Litre HERE). It goes hard in cold weather and liquid in warmer climates. It also has a strong coconut flavour/aroma and is best used for recipes where you want the coconut flavour to shine. Its also great for hair care and face masks.
MCT Coconut Oil
MCT or Medium Chain Triglycerides means that the oil has more fatty acids (aka saturated fats) than other oils which contrary to many beliefs can actually aid in weight loss when consumed as part of a low carb (keto) diet.
This oil does not solidify and does not have a super potent coconut oil aroma so it’s great to use for babies and your own skin. It’s also a good option for oil pulling and recipes where you don’t necessarily want a coconut taste but do what the coconut and MCT goodness. I specifically use this brand. You should definitely try it out!
Now that we know what coconut oil is and why it is so good for us, how do we use it? WELL I’m glad you asked because I have rounded up a cool 101 household uses for Coconut Oil.
I have broken this up into several sections for you. If you see something missing don’t forget to add it in the comments!
And I’m sure you won’t forget to pin this for later too.
Overall health benefits
- Increase mental alertness when ingested
- Can heal UTI’s when applied internally and externally
- Can help with arthritis due to anti-inflammatory agents
- Can help with cholesterol when used as a substitute for other fats in diet
- Can increase energy similar to caffeine when ingested
- Helps aid in digestion
- High in antimicrobial agents due to high lauric acid content – helps fight bacterial and viral infections
- Good for immunity due to lauric acid content also
- Can help stabilize hormones due to healthy fats
- General facial moisturizer: Apply all over after every shower for all skin types
- Gentle make up remover: Add 2 table spoons to your bottle of micellar water
- Cleanser: Mix 2 Tbsp with 1/3 cup baking soda, rub into T-zone before washing off
- Treat acne overnight: Add 2 drops of Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil with 2Tbsp Coconut oil and apply to pimples directly. Wash off after 15 minutes
- Anti-Aging eye cream: Mix 1Tbsp to 4 capsules worth of vitamin E oil, apply under eyes before bed
- Lip balm: Mix with beeswax and other essential oils for a glossy finish
- Highlighter: Apply thin layer over make up to top of cheek bones
- Moisturizing make up: Add to organic powdered foundation (like this one) and use all over face
- DIY lipstick colour: Mix oil with powdered eyeshadow to create your custom colored lip-gloss
- Eyebrow growth: Mix with Rosemary Essential Oil, apply to brows and leave overnight
- Eye lash growth: Mix with Castor Oil, apply to lashes with clean Mascara Brush
- Mascara thinner: Add a few drops to your old mascara tube to avoid clumpy lashes
Eco-friendly Face masks
You may not have the time or discipline to have a daily routine (I know I barely do with bubs demanding all my attention); the solution? Once weekly face mask while bubs naps and I vacuum #housewifegoals.
Coconut oil can be added to other ingredients to become a wash off face mask.
Mix with these ingredients to form a paste, apply to face all over, wash off with warm water after 15-20 minutes for remedy to common problems:
- Dry skin: Mix with Raw Manuka Honey, avocado
- Dark spots: Mix with lemon juice
- Oily skin: Mix with Turmeric
- Sunburn: Mix with Aloe Vera
- Bonus Facial Scrub: Mix with organic raw sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice to remove dead skin and clean pores.
Hair masks are a great way to revitalize your mop. Use these ingredients to form a paste, apply as instructed and wash off with shampoo as normal.
- Dandruff: Add Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil and Premium Lavender Oil and massage scalp for 5 minutes
- Dry hair: Add Shea Butter and apply to ends and lengths, leave in for 10-15 minutes
- Growth: Mix with Rosemary Essential Oil and apply to scalp, leave in for 10-15 minutes
- Split ends: Add Raw Manuka Honey and massage into ends, leave in for 10-15 minutes
- De-tangle: Add Apple Cider Vinegar and brush out knots
- Thicker hair: Mix with Castor Oil and run through hair, leave in for 10-15 minutes
- Anti-Frizz Leave in conditioner: Apply a small amount on its own onto ends of wet hair after washing to lock in moisture, do not wash out
- General body moisturizer: for all skin types
- Preventative for Eczema
- Sooth psoriasis: When applying to sensitive skin always apply to a test area and leave for 24 hours first.
- Fade stretch marks: Moisturize daily
- Heal cracked heels: Apply liberally after soaking feet in foot spa – lock in moisture with socks overnight
- Soften calluses on hands
- Lighten dry darkened skin: Mix with lemon juice and apply to elbows and knees
- Remove fake tan without drying out skin: Mix with lemon juice, apply before exfoliating in shower
- Nourishing tanning oil: Mix with SPF 30+ or apply over the top of sun screen
- Hives: Add 1tsp Apple Cider Vinegar to ½ cup coconut oil and apply to affected area to soothe
- Remove cellulite: Apply to skin using brushing method – use Body Brush and stroke towards lymphatic system (groin area and under arms)
- Sooth sunburn
- Soothe burns
Exfoliating body scrubs
If you want to give yourself the spa treatment you deserve then here are my 5 favourite body scrub recipes. I usually use Organic Raw Sugar as my base but you can use course ground Himalayan rock salt or ground coffee beans.
- Basic Scrub to remove dry skin: Mix ½ cup coconut oil to 1 cup organic raw sugar
- Acne scarring: Mix ½ cup coconut oil with ½ cup course rock salt and 1/3 cup bicarb soda
- Tighten skin: Mix ½ cup coconut oil, ½ cup ground coffee beans to use as a scrub – caffeine tightens skin
- Relaxation scrub: Mix ½ cup coconut oil with 1 cup organic raw sugar and a tea bag worth of chamomile tea leaves (or you can use a few drops of chamomile oil)
- Cooling scrub (great for summer): Mix ½ cup coconut oil with 1 cup organic raw sugar and a few drops of peppermint oil
- Oil pulling: Swish oil in mouth for 15-20 minutes (do not swallow); spit out and rinse mouth. It is said that the oil will draw out all the toxins in the mouth which detoxifies the body, cleans the mouth, whitens the teeth and helps with bad breath. If 20 minutes is too hard start with 5 minutes and work your way up
- Prevent gingivitis: Apply to gums after brushing teeth
- Heal tooth cavities: Use as toothpaste once per week
- Whiten teeth: Add to baking soda to make a paste and brush with tooth brush
- Headache: Add a few drops of peppermint oil and apply to temples and back of neck
Coconut oil is a great antioxidant. You can also boost your metabolism by consuming 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil daily, here are some recipes to get your fix. Recommended that you especially use MCT Coconut Oil when using oil raw. Here’s the link to the one I use again.
- Swap butter half out in cookie recipes for softer chewy biscuits
- Reduce sticking: Use to line oven pans
- Replace other vegetable oils for all cooking
Add to smoothies for a mental boost to your day – like this:
- Pina Colada: 2Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil, ½ cup pineapple juice, ½ cup coconut milk
- Tooty Fruity: 2 Tbsp coconut oil, ½ cup tropical fruit juice, ½ cup frozen mixed berries, top with milk for smoothie or water and ice for a cooling crush (great for summer)
- Banana coconut: 2Tbsp coconut oil, 1 ripe banana, 30g vanilla protein powder, top with milk or water.
- Chocolate coconut: 2Tbsp coconut oil, 2tsp coco or raw cacao, 2 scoops (30g) vanilla (or chocolate) protein powder, top up with water or milk
- Keto Bulletproof coffee shake: 1 cup brewed coffee, 2Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp grass fed unsalted butter, ½ cup cream, top up with whole milk, blend and top with whipped cream
Recipes to get your coconut oil flowing all day
- Balsamic: Mix half and half coconut oil and Balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper for a basic dressing
- Asian Dressing: 2Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, 2Tbsp coconut oil, 1tsp honey, crushed garlic, fresh ginger and soy sauce
- Avocado Ranch: In a food processor until creamy: 1 avocado, 2Tbsp coconut oil, 1 sprig dill, 2 gloves garlic, salt, pepper, squeeze of lemon
- Cilantro coconut: 1 bunch coriander, 1/4 cup coconut oil, salt, pepper, juice of 1 lime, 1 green chilli, ½ cup coconut milk – blend well.
- Carrot dressing: Blend left over roasted carrots, 4Tbsp coconut oil, 1tsp honey, squeeze lime or lemon juice, salt, pepper.
Health Boost Balls
Help with specific needs
Combine all ingredients and roll into balls, fridge for 1-2hrs. Best to use solidifying Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil for these.
- Pre-workout: 1 cup oats, 1 mashed banana, 1Tbsp coconut oil
- Post-workout: 1 cup vanilla protein powder, 1 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup coconut oil,
- Immunity boost: 1 cup oats, 2Tbsp coco (or raw cacao), ¼ cup coconut oil, zest of 1 orange
- Lactation boost: 1 cup rolled oats, 2 Tbsp Brewer’s Yeast, ¼ cup coconut oil, ½ cup peanut butter, 2 Tbsp honey
- Just for fun Coco Rum Balls: 1 packet crushed digestive biscuits (250g), 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1.5 cups desiccated coconut (extra for coating), ½ cup coco powder, 3Tbsp Rum (or Vodka if you don’t have Rum) of choice, 2Tbsp coconut oil
- Keto Freezer Fat Bomb: 2Tbsp coconut oil, 4Tbsp Almond butter, 2Tbsp unsalted butter, 1tsp Vanilla extract, 2Tbsp cream cheese – mix together well and freeze in cupcake liners
- Daily baby massage: Ditch the chemical-filled regular baby oil, apply all over after bath time
- Treating baby acne: Massage into skin after breast-milk bath
- To make breast milk bath simply add left over expressed breast milk to regular bath water – around 40mLs will do.
- Treat baby heat rash: Apply to effected areas after lukewarm bath
- Loosen dry poop on baby’s bum without scrubbing
- Cradle cap: After a bath, brush flaking skin off with Baby Comb
- Bum cream substitute: Mix 1 cup Petroleum Jelly, ¼ cup coconut oil, 2Tbsp talcum powder
Its not just the two-legged family members that get to benefit from the wonders of coconut oil. Here are a few symptoms that coconut oil can help with.
Note that you should always use a test patch on the animal’s skin prior to ensure no allergy or reaction. We find that the MCT oil is the best option for animals as it has less smell as well but you will need to figure out what is best for your animal.
- Natural flea repellant
- Moisturizes skin
- Heals cracked and dry paw pads
- Promotes shiny coat
- Soothes itchy spots from allergies
- Freshens breath
- Fights gingivitis
- Reduce joint inflammation and arthritis symptoms
- Promotes healthy weight
- Speeds up metabolism
- Disinfect wounds
- Helps regulate insulin
- Stop metal from rusting: Apply after soaking rust off with citric acid
- Remove stubborn labels from jars
- Clean crayon off walls and surfaces
- WD-40 substitute for squeaky door hinges
- Apply to keys to lubricate sticking locks
- Season new frying pans: coconut oil has a high smoke point so it won’t burn as easily
- Remove gum from hair: Warm the oil to help soften the gum
- Remove dried craft materials like paint and glue from children’s hands
- DIY furniture polish (always use a test patch in a hidden area first).
So there you have it! 101 uses for coconut oil. Have you tried any of these?
Did I miss any magical uses that you know of?
Don’t forget to add to the list in the comments below!
And I know you have already pinned this for later 🙂
Much Love, VV Xx